Ang Tshering Sherpa was born in a village called Khumjung at 3790m in Solu Khumbu, on the way to Mt. Everest. His father was a yak trader and mountain man who had befriended Sir Edmund Hillary. Ang Tshering got his education in a school set up by Sir Hillary for children in high and remote mountain regions.
From a young age, Ang Tshering was involved in mountain expeditions, helping his father assist climbers wanting to summit Everest and the other peaks of the region. By the time he was in his early 20s, Ang Tshering knew he wanted to work with mountain expeditions. He could see that there was a market for the kind of services he and people from the Sherpa community could provide, as at that time, there was little government assistance available to climbers.After working in the industry for a few more years, in 1982 he bought a trekking company called Asian Trekking. He was able to generate jobs for people from the Khumbu region and stimulate the local economy through his work. Over the next three decades the reputation of Asian Trekking grew as a trusted and reliable company. They are now known as the premier service in mountain expeditions. In 2008, Ang Tshering handed the reins over to his son Dawa Steven Sherpa, to continue their legacy of work in and for the mountains.Over the years, Ang Tshering has been acknowledged with an array of awards and honours and is a member or delegate to numerous international mountaineering and tourism associations.
- Honorary Consul of Belgium to Nepal.
- Honorary Member of UIAA (International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation)
- President of Climate Alliance of Himalayan Communities (CAHC)
- Senior Vice President of International Mountaineers Association (IMA)
President of Nepal Mountaineering Association
- Convenor of Mountaineering and Mountain Tourism Policy Review Sub- Committee, Government of Nepal
- Convenor of Detailed Peak Profile Sub-Committee, Government of Nepal
- Board Member of National Tourism Council of Nepal under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister of Nepal.
- IP President of Union of Asian Alpine Association(UAAA)
- Advisory Board Member of Adventure Travel World Summit 200
- Ex-Board Director of Nepal Airlines Corporation (NAC )
- First Vice President of International Mountaineers Association & Convener of Asian Mountaineers
- Board Member of SKM Trust
- Former Executive Member of Nepal Association of Travel Agents (NATA)
- Former Board Member of Nepal Tourism Board
- Former First Vice President of Trekking Agents Association of Nepal
- Advisor of Sherpa Association of Nepal
- Life Member of Human Rights Organization of Nepal
- Member of Japan Association of Travel Agents
- Convener of the Golden Jubilee Celebration Committee of Mt. Everest 2003, Mt.Cho-Oyu 2004, Mt.Kanchenjunga 2005, Mt.Makalu 2005,
Mt.Manaslu 2006, Mt.Lhotse 2006 and
- Mt.Dhaulagiri 2010 Honorary Leader of China Tibet Expedition to All 14 Peaks of above 8000m to Mt. Lhotse
- Chairman of Mountaineering Rescue Training Foundation of Nepal.
- Advisory Board member of PATA
- Member of Nepal – German Chamber of Commerce & Industries.v
- Vice President of Nepal-Belgium Bikash Foundation
- Chairman of Poverty Focus Tourism Development Programme –Nepal
- Ex-Advisor of Trekking Agents Association of Nepal (2002 – 2005)
- Leader of Nepal-China Golden Jubilee Friendship Peak Expedition 2005 organized by The Government of Nepal & China.
- Vice Chairman of 30 th Jubilation of Women’s First Ascent on Mt. Everest celebration Committee by HMG of Nepal -2005
- Leader of Nepal-Japan Golden Jubilee Friendship Nangpai Gosum(7321m) Expedition 2006 organized by Government of Nepal, NMA,Nepal & JWAF,Japan.
- Member of Mountain Protection Commission of UIAA(Union of International Alpine Association)
- Co-coordinator of Nepalese Cabinet Meeting at Everest B.C./Kalapathar Plateau at 5542m on 4 December 2009.
Co-coordinator of International Climber for Summiteers Summit to Save the Himalayas in Copenhagen on 11 December 2009 on the occasion of International Mountain Day.
- Life Member of Tourist Guide Association of Nepal.
- Advisory Board member of PATA
- Joint Tourism Promotion Tour led by Tourism Minister at Germany, France, U.K. in 1989
- International Conference on Youth Tourism, Organized by WTO & the Govt. Of India in 1991
- NMA delegation to Tibet, China hosted by Tibet Mountaineering Association in 1992
- Joint Tourism Promotion Tour led by Tourism Minister to UK, France and Belgium in 1995
- JATA Trade Fair in Osaka, Japan in 1995 & 1997
- Nepal Travel Trade Delegation to Malaysia
- China Tibet Mountaineering Association (CTMA) delegation to U. K., Swiss, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany.
- International Conference of Helicopter operators Conference in Russia, regularly.
- Participant of many International Air Show Exhibitions in Europe and Asia.
- TAAN & NMA Delegation to Tibet Autonomous Region of Peoples Republic of China 2002.
- Leader of the Delegation of NMA to UIAA General Assembly in Austria 2001.
Leader of the NMA Delegation to UIAA General Assembly in USA 2002.
- Member of Mt. Everest 2003, Mt. Cho-Oyu 2004, Mt. Makalu & Mt. Kanchanjunga 2005 Golden Jubilee Celebration Committee.
- Vice Chairman of Mt. Manaslu & Mt. Lotse Golden Jubilee Celebration 2006.
- Organizer of Mountaineering & Tourism Conference 2006.
- Leader of the NMA Delegation to UIAA General Assembly in Germany 2003.
- Leader of the Nepalese delegation to Japan by the invitation from JAC 2003.
- Leader of the delegation from Nepal to Japan for the International Mountain Environmental Conference 2003.
- Leader of the Delegation of NMA to UIAA General Assembly in India 2004
- Leader of the Delegation of NMA to UIAA General Assembly in Singapore 2005.
- Leader of the NMA Delegation to Japan Alpine Club Centennial celebration 2005.
- Leader of Joint Nepal-China Friendship Golden Jubilee Expedition 2005.
- Leader of the NMA delegation to UAAA meeting in Taiwan 2006.
- Member of High Level Committee under the Chairmanship of Deputy Prime Minister of Nepal for the Golden Jubilee Celebration(2006) of establishment of Diplomatic relation between Nepal & Japan.
- Delegation Member of 2 nd BIMSTEC Tourism Ministerial Round Table meeting & workshop 2006.
- Leader of NMA Delegation to UAAA general Assembly in Beijing, China 2006.
- Leader of Nepalese Delegation to UIAA General Assembly at Banff, Canada 2006.
- Guest Speaker of Adventure Travel Summit World Conference 2006 in Seattle, USA
Member Secretary of Himalayan Tourism Conference 2006 in Kathmandu.
- Member of High Level committee of Golden Jubile of Nepal-Japan Diplomatic Relation establishment celebration committee.
International Jury of
- International Alpinism Festival in Prague, Czech Republic 2006.
- Advisory member of Destination Pokhara 2007.
- Member of Advisory Board of Adventure Travel World Summit Conference 2007 in Canada.
- International Jury of International Alpinism Festival in Prague, Czech Republic 2007.
- Leader of Nepalese Delegation to UIAA General Assembly in Iran 2008.
- Chaired UAAA(Union of Asian Alpine Association) General Assembly 2008 (19 Oct) in Tehran, I.R. of Iran.
- International Jury of International Alpinism Festival in Prague, Czech Republic 2008.
- Chaired Council Meeting of Union of Asian Alpine Association in Tokyo, Japan – 17-18 April 2009.
- Kathmandu to Copenhagen SAARC (Climate Change) Conference in Kathmandu on 31th Aug- 1 st September 2009.
- Leader of Nepalese Delegation to UIAA General Assembly in Porto, Portugal 2009.
- Chaired UAAA(Union of Asian Alpine Association) General Assembly 2009 (24 Oct) in Hongkong.
- International Jury of International Alpinism Festival in Prague, Czech ation
- Republic 2010.
- Attended UIAA General Assembly in Bormio, Italy 2010.
- Attended UIAA General Assembly in Kathmandu, Nepal 2011.
- UAAA (Union of Asian Alpine Association) General Assembly 2011 in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- International Jury of International Alpinism Festival in Prague, Czech Republic 2011.
- Delegation member of Nepal and Tibet Autonomous Region Joint Tourism Coordination meeting in Kathmandu 2011.
- Attended UIAA General Assembly in Amsterdam, The Netherland 2012 (I was elected Honorary Member of UIAA).
- Attended UAAA General Assembly in Mokpo City of South Korea 2012.
- International Jury of International Alpinism Festival in Prague, Czech Republic 2012.
- Delegation member of Nepal and Tibet Autonomous Region Joint Tourism Coordination meeting in Lhasa, Tibet 2012.
- Attended UIAA Management Committee meeting in the capacity of Honorary Member of UIAA in Orvieto in Italy in May 2013
- Attended UIAA General Assembly in the capacity of Honorary
- Member of UIAA in Pontresina in Switzerland in October 2 nd –5 th 2013
- Attended UNWTO’s programme to formulate the Tourism Strategy Plan of Nepal in October 2013
- Guest Speaker at the International Alpinism Festival in Prague, Czech Republic November 2013.
- Guest Speaker of Mt. Everest Diamond Jubilee Celebration and 150 th Anniversary of Slovenian Alpine Club in Ljubljana and Tornout City in December 2013
- Leader of Nepalese Delegation to UIAA General Assembly in Flagstaff, Arizona, USA in October 2014.
- Leader of the Nepalese Delegation UAAA(Union of Asian Alpine Association) General Assembly in Hiroshima, Japan in November 2014.
- Member of Nepal-Tibet Autonomous Region of People’s Republic of China Joint Tourism Coordination Committee Meeting held in Lhasa, Tibet in December 2014.
- Felicitated by Minister of Culture, Tourism and Civil Avian
- Government of Nepal as Tourism man of the year 2013
- Decorated “The mark of honor of knight in the Order of Leopold” by His Majesty the King of Belgium.
- Decorated “Suprabal Gorkhadakshin Bahu” by Government of Nepal
- 17 th & 18 th International Award for Tourist, Hotel and Catering Industries 1992/93
- 24 th International award for Commercial Prestige.
- Medal decorated by the President of the Northern Ossetia – Alania Republic of Russian Federation
- Trophy presented by Government of Nepal for Second Highest Collection of Foreign Currency in Trekking Sector.
- Life time achievement Award for the highest contribution in the field of Tourism on the Occasion of Nepal Unification day 2058 BS.